How to Prepare for Hair Transplant Surgery
Posted on 25th November 2016 at 09:57
If you’re considering opting for a hair transplant, it’s vitally important that you spend some time doing your homework in order to identify a suitable clinic. Be sure to choose a hair transplant surgeon who has sufficient experience in carrying out the procedure, and ask to see some before and after photographs of previous patients. Find out if the surgeon is up to date with the latest advances in technology and procedures to ensure that you will receive the best form of care during your treatment.
Ask relevant questions
Once you have identified a possible surgeon, ask them a selection of questions to make sure you are fully informed regarding the type of treatment which you are likely to undergo. Possible questions may include:
• Do I have sufficient donor hair? Your surgeon will need to take a look at your scalp in order to decipher whether you have sufficient donor hair for the procedure. The amount of donor hair available will determine the size of the area you wish to cover, and the density of the new hair.
• Am I too young to undergo hair transplant surgery? If you are under the age of 25, you may well be too young. However, ask your surgeon to study your hair in order to diagnose potential future hair loss patterns, and determine whether you would be suitable to have a transplant now, or perhaps in the future.
• How much will the surgery cost? This will depend upon the size of the area to be treated, but your surgeon should give you an accurate quote regarding the cost of the surgery. Ask if the clinic can offer an affordable finance plan to help you to pay for your treatment.
Follow the pre-surgery instructions
Once you have chosen your hair transplant clinic, you’ve undergone the necessary consultations and you have a date in the diary for your procedure, it’s vitally important that you follow any pre-surgery instructions. These will usually include:
• Avoiding alcohol for a minimum of three days prior to your surgery, as alcohol can increase your risk of bleeding during surgery.
• Refraining from smoking or using nicotine products one week before your treatment. Nicotine prevents the blood from carrying oxygen efficiently, therefore reducing the amount of oxygen rich blood flowing through the affected area which could have a detrimental effect on the final results of the surgery.
• Ensure that your hair is at least 1 to 2 inches long, as this will help to disguise the suture line post-surgery.
• Inform your surgeon of any medication you are currently taking, as drugs such as aspirin, beta-blockers and anti-depressants may affect the blood thickening process.
• Take the time to massage your scalp gently each day for up to one month prior to treatment. This will help to increase blood flow to the area, and will also soften the skin ready for surgery.
On the day of your operation, make sure you wear suitable, comfortable clothing which will not need to be pulled over your head post-surgery. A zip up top or shirt would be suitable. As you will receive light sedation during the operation, it is recommended that you ask a friend or family member to drive you home.
If you have any other questions or if you would like to learn more about undergoing a hair transplant, telephone the Birmingham Dermatology Clinic to make an appointment on 0800 044 3917.
Share this post: